History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yatton, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.393 / 51°23'34"N

Longitude: -2.7882 / 2°47'17"W

OS Eastings: 345258

OS Northings: 166288

OS Grid: ST452662

Mapcode National: GBR JG.RHCJ

Mapcode Global: VH7CG.M7CZ

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Last Amended: 20 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320963

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33839

Location: Yatton, North Somerset, BS49

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Yatton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Brockley

Listing Text

YATTON C.P. MEETING HOUSE LANE (east side)
ST 46 NE Claverham
5/175 Friends' Meeting House
13.10.52 Formerly Listed as Claverham Meeting
II* House)
Friends' meeting house, now partly house. C17 origin, rebuilt 1729 with C19 and
C20 alterations. Rubble, rendered, limestone dressings, pantiled roof hipped
over side wings, stacks to sides. U-plan with hall in central range. 2 storeys,
1:3:1 bays; central 3 bays have central semi-circular-headed chamfered door
opening with keystone, imposts, large panelled double doors, 6-pane light above
in similar surround, to each side a round-headed 18-pane sash with thick glazing
bars, splayed at head, similar imposts and keystone, moulded cills, keystones of
side windows rise to moulded string course, above centre window an oblong stone
pediment with cornice carrying pedestal with square-block sundial surmounted by
stone "torch" finial; base of sundial has incised inscription "THIS HOUSE REBUILT
IN THE YEAR 1729". Wing set forward to each side has 2-light casement at ground
and first floor and 1/2-glazed door to inner side; from each front angle of
building rises a tall square stack, one with moulded cap, the inside face of each
stack being curved to eaves. Left return has 2 windows, all 2-light casements
of 3 panes each, right return the same with buttress to left. Rear has small
single storey C20 lean-to right and left with 1/2-glazed door and C20 light to
inner side; first floor has 2-light casement right and left and central 20-pane
sash under eaves with thin glazing bars. Interior: not accessible at time of
survey (April 1985) but appears to retain original panelling in central hall.


Listing NGR: ST4525866288

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.