History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hutton, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3228 / 51°19'21"N

Longitude: -2.9307 / 2°55'50"W

OS Eastings: 335244

OS Northings: 158595

OS Grid: ST352585

Mapcode National: GBR J8.WX4P

Mapcode Global: VH7CS.501S

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 9 February 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33616

Location: Hutton, North Somerset, BS24

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Hutton

Built-Up Area: Weston-Super-Mare

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Hutton

Listing Text

ST 35 NE HUTTON C.P. CHURCH LANE

5/7 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
9.2.61
G.V. II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15, major extension and restoration 1849 by S.C. Fripp.
Coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel,
north vestry, south aisle. All Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with plinth,
diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed finials, polygonal stair turret at south
east; first stage has C15, plank west door in richly moulded four-centered arch
under drip with angel stops below 3-light window; at second stage, blank 2-light
openings with grotesque stops, except east, no opening, at north, string is
broken by clock of 1887; third stage, each face has paired 2-light windows to
bell chamber, outer light blank, inner crocketed finials; gargoyles and a trefoil
pierced parapet; stair turret has cusped panels and is surmounted by a hexagonal
spirelet. 2-bay nave has 3-light windows between buttresses, at east a polygonal,
battlemented rood stair turret has one tiny quatrefoil light, at gable head sits
a sanctus bell cote of C15 work, but reset. Gabled chancel of 1849 has 3-light
east window and two 2-light windows to south, on either side of a plain priest's
door, all under a continuous string. Similar north vestry of 1870 has a 2-light
east window and cusped lancets to north and west. 3-bay, gabled south aisle,
also 1849, sits between 2 buttresses of original south wall and has 3 three-light
windows; in east gable a C15 canopied niche is reset. Interior: tall, moulded
tower arch of waves and hollows rises to a lierne tracery vault on angel corbels,
there is a C19 screen with mock linenfold. Nave has a Wagon roof with decorated
wall plate and bosses, remains of rood stair openings now house stairs to refixed
stone pulpit of the local school-corbelled with friezes from a narrow stem, each
panel has 2 cusped lights, separated by crocketed finials, all surmounted by
2 further floreate friezes. The wave and step moulded C15 chancel arch enters
work of 1849 with wagon roof and wide north arch into vestry to house organ, there
is a reset C16 niche, tudor arch with cusped panels in the soffit and decorated
spandrels, now housing damaged mural brass to the Payne family, 1528. South
aisle has a 3-bay arcade, octagonal piers with attached shafts. Glass: East
window in nave has fragments of C15 and later heraldic glass, remainder is
victorian and later. Fittings: simple, octagonal font of late date, low, plain
box pews of 1785 in north nave, stone reredos, between crocketed and canopied
niches, of 1858. Tablets: south aisle, marble and slate, with crown bearing
arms, family effigies, Nathaniel Still, 1626; chest tomb on dark ground, Watson
1833, by Wheeler, Gloucester; chancel, all slate lozenge, flanked by naive
columns, above, an hourglass, below, cherubs and a skull, Robert Willis, 1719;
south chancel wall, freestone, ogee headed moulded canopy, marble tablet with urn
on dark ground to J. Smith, Rector, 1825, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol.
Sources: Coward, 'The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Hutton'. n.d.
N. Pevsner. 'The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.


Listing NGR: ST3524558598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.