History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine House and Associated Buildings from the Middle Engine Pit, About 15 Metres South East of the Elms

A Grade II Listed Building in Nailsea, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4317 / 51°25'54"N

Longitude: -2.7462 / 2°44'46"W

OS Eastings: 348221

OS Northings: 170562

OS Grid: ST482705

Mapcode National: GBR JJ.P1XR

Mapcode Global: VH88R.C81T

Entry Name: Engine House and Associated Buildings from the Middle Engine Pit, About 15 Metres South East of the Elms

Listing Date: 10 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320976

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33723

Location: Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Nailsea

Built-Up Area: Nailsea

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Nailsea

Listing Text

NAILSEA C.P. GOLDEN VALLEY
ST 47 SE
4/58 Engine house and associated
buildings from the Middle Engine
10.7.85 Pit, about 15 metres south east of
the Elms
- II

Engine house of rotative beam engine, foundations of horse whim house, and
weighbridge house. Buildings date from 1792-1837. Sandstone rubble, engine
house has large quoins and plain tiled roof. Engine house of rectangular plan,
formerly used for pumping by means of a drive shaft which emerged through the
wall; engine house was formerly used as a water tower and is taller than it was
originally. Foundations of horse whim house, about 1 1/2 metres high, about
3 metres north of engine house, used for winding during the sinking of the shaft
and later for maintenance. Weighbridge house, small rectangular rubble building
(overgrown with ivy at time of survey March 1985) about 30 metres to north. Map
prepared by the Royal Engineers in 1830 showed the pit as 'Old Nailsea Pit' with
workings 200 feet deep; Middle Engine Pit probably worked the Whites and Dungy
seams over an area extending from the Trendlewood quarries to the lane down
Golden Valley, and from Nailsea Park and Station Road to Trendlewood.
(Sources: Nailsea and District Local History Society; BIAS).


Listing NGR: ST4822170562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.