History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Charlton House the Downs School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wraxall and Failand, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4598 / 51°27'35"N

Longitude: -2.7298 / 2°43'47"W

OS Eastings: 349393

OS Northings: 173680

OS Grid: ST493736

Mapcode National: GBR JK.M61H

Mapcode Global: VH88K.MKQR

Entry Name: Charlton House the Downs School

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33573

Location: Wraxall and Failand, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Wraxall and Failand

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Pill

Listing Text

ST 47 SE WRAXALL CHARLTON DRIVE

3/178 Charlton House (The Downs School)
15.lO.52
- II

Small country house, presently a school. Probably late mediaeval, altered
early - mid C17, and extended c.1877-84. Rendered; slate roof behind coped
parapet; ashlar stacks. Irregular U-plan building of 3 storeys. The central
section has 3 windows on the ground floor and 5 on the first: two 5-light cross
windows to the right (the Hall) with ovolo moulded king mullions and surrounds;
2- and 3-light casements elsewhere, all under dripmoulds. 2 storey gabled porch
to left; C19 door and moulded surround. Projecting wings to either side, each
surmounted by curvilinear gables with ball finials: 2 storey, square bay window
of 5-lights to right wing; slightly projecting 3 storey bay to left, 5-light
cross window on ground floor and 3-light window on first, all C19 with ovolo
moulded mullions and surrounds. Drainpipe hopper on the right (west) wing is
dated 1883. Further 2 bay extension to west: lateral stack; 3- and 2-light
cross windows with ovolo moulded mullions and casements. Interior. Mostly C19
but retaining a screens passage with the hall to the left. The hall fireplace
is early C17: stone; moulded and gadrooned surround; clustered colonnettes to
each side with termini caryatids, enriched frieze and moulded cornice; large
overmantel with draped figures of kings and women (Charity and Justice) with full
armorial bearings. One east internal window is said to have an early C16
2-light window with arched lights. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England :
North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4939373680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.