This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1389 / 52°8'19"N
Longitude: -0.4708 / 0°28'14"W
OS Eastings: 504754
OS Northings: 250053
OS Grid: TL047500
Mapcode National: GBR G1Z.V34
Mapcode Global: VHFQ7.SHHQ
Entry Name: Her Majestys Prison Main Entrance and Two Flanking Wings
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Last Amended: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35507
Location: Bedford, MK40
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Bedford
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bedford St Peter de Merton with St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/02/2013
TL 0450 1/76
DAME ALICE STREET (north side)
HM Prison: Main entrance and two flanking wings
(Formerly listed as HM Prison)
Prison entrance and wings. 1848-9 by Thomas Smith. Flemish bond red
brick with slate dressings. Slate hipped roofs. Brick axial stacks.
Plan: Central entrance block with carriageway through and flanking
wings attached only by prison wall behind. Exterior: 2 storeys and
basements, 3-bay central entrance and flanking wings, all with
rusticated stone quoins, plinths, string courses and cornices. Central
entrance with pedimented advanced outer bays, central round arch
carriageway with vermicutated rustication to voussoirs and large
double doors, two-light windows, the flat arches with large voussoirs
and stone mullion. The flanking wings have pedimented centres breaking
forwards with recessed round-headed doorways with keystones,
fanlights, glazed doors and steps with iron balustrades and 12-pane
sashes with flat brick arches. Interiors: Not inspected.
Note: Bedford Prison was built in 1801 to the designs of John Wing
(1756-1826). In 1848-9 it was extended, the perimeter walls and front
entrance were rebuilt and the flanking front wings added by Thomas
Smith, the County Surveyor for Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire.
Source: HMP Bedford, Prison Handbook, and notes.
Listing NGR: TL0475450053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings