History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tockington Manor School

A Grade II Listed Building in Olveston, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5771 / 51°34'37"N

Longitude: -2.5622 / 2°33'44"W

OS Eastings: 361135

OS Northings: 186625

OS Grid: ST611866

Mapcode National: GBR JS.CS6Y

Mapcode Global: VH882.JMTB

Entry Name: Tockington Manor School

Listing Date: 5 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321057

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35328

Location: Olveston, South Gloucestershire, BS32

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Olveston

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Olveston

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Alveston

Listing Text


ST 68 NW OLVESTON TOCKINGTON

8/223 Tockington Manor School

G.V. II

House now school. C16, asymmetrical entrance front built c.1712 by a Mayor of
Bristol, c.1780 and C20 additions and alterations. Rubble with stone and brick
dressings including rusticated quoins, slate roof with gable stacks, double
Roman tiled rear additions. T-plan, now infilled. 3 storeys and 6 windows,
all 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, moulded frames and gauged brick
segmental heads, 5 windows at 3rd floor of 6 panes in same surround, 3rd bay
from right has polygonal buttressed 2-storey porch with hipped roof, sash at
1st floor as on front, segmental headed opening with panelled and glass door;
east side has varied windows and C20 single storey extensions, west side has
gable end of original house built up to parapet of c.1780 rear addition of
2 storeys and 5 windows, all large sashes with gauged brick head and surround,
2nd from right at ground floor has French window replacing lower sash, cornice
and parapet. Rear has 4 windows as on west side, C20 single storey extensions
with gable end. Interior: entrance hall and west room have pine panelling,
dentil cornice and chair rail, east room has Jacobean panelling, 4-panelled
doors and shutters, late C18 staircase hall lit by lantern with geometrical
glazing bars, open string stair with wreathed handrail, 1st floor west room oak-
panelled with S-shaped hinges to cupboard doors. (Sources: Verey, D. :
Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).


Listing NGR: ST6113586625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.