This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5722 / 51°34'19"N
Longitude: -2.4157 / 2°24'56"W
OS Eastings: 371286
OS Northings: 186006
OS Grid: ST712860
Mapcode National: GBR JZ.D122
Mapcode Global: VH95M.2RS4
Entry Name: Ruins of Yate Court 30 Yards to North East of Yate Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34892
Location: Wickwar, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Wickwar
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wickwar Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 78 NW YATE
4/258 Ruins of Yate Court, 30 yards
to north east of Yate Court
Ruins of the great hall, chambers and service rooms of Yate Court. Early -
mid C16, for the Berkeley family, possibly incorporating parts of an earlier
mediaeval manor. Tall rubble walls survive, in places, up to 18/20 feet high.
Moulded string course at first floor level on exterior. Ruins consist of part
of a gatehouse and part of the hall. 2 storey section at north east with the
remains of an ashlar fireplace which has a moulded jamb and part of a 4-centred
lintel with carving in the spandrel. To the south west are 3 walls of a tower
( gatehouse) with part of a moulded jamb. A section of freestanding wall
survives at the south-west. Part of an important manorial complex, dating from
the late C13 and belonging to the Berkeley family and the Crown. Razed in 1644.
Listing NGR: ST7128686006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings