History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Service and Kitchen Wing and Adjoining Stables, Coachman's and Groom's Quarters, Stable Yard and Archway to the Rocks, Coach Houses, Workshops and Stores, High Wall with Workshops and Outbuildi

A Grade II Listed Building in Marshfield, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4336 / 51°26'0"N

Longitude: -2.3033 / 2°18'11"W

OS Eastings: 379011

OS Northings: 170554

OS Grid: ST790705

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q0.0HQ

Mapcode Global: VH96G.175B

Entry Name: Former Service and Kitchen Wing and Adjoining Stables, Coachman's and Groom's Quarters, Stable Yard and Archway to the Rocks, Coach Houses, Workshops and Stores, High Wall with Workshops and Outbuildi

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Last Amended: 10 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34600

Location: Marshfield, South Gloucestershire, SN14

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Marshfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Marshfield

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Batheaston

Listing Text

MARSHFIELD C.P.
ST 77 SE
10/185 Former Service and Kitchen
Wing and adjoining Stables.
Coachman's and Groom's
Quarters, Stable yard and
archway to The Rocks.
17.9.52 (formerly listed as
The Rocks)
Coach Houses, Workshops
and Stores, High Wall with
workshops and outbuildings
to the west side enclosing
yard and 2 Archways.

G.V. II

Service and Kitchen wing; to the north are the adjoining stables, coachman's and
groom's quarters, coachhouses, stableyard and gateway; now houses, workshops and
garages. Mid - C19 partly demolished 1955, restored 1970's-80's. Rubble with
freestone dressings, ashlar to part of the service wing; mostly C20 roofs,
pantiled and reproduction slates. Highly irregular and asymmetrical castellated
Gothic style buildings. To the south are the remains of the service and kitchen
wing of the main house. It consists of an L-plan tower: embattled parapet,
string course with corbels; 3 stages; casement windows under hood moulds. A
2 storey, ashlar wing with a slate roof projects to the south: 1-3-1 light
mullioned and transomed oriel window. To the east is a ruinous wing of 3
storeys: 3 bay arcaded passage of 4-centred arches. To the north of the
service wing is the stable range: embattled parapet; 2 storeys: 6 bays, 3 C2O
windows and 3 doors in plain stone surrounds on ground floor; at the left is a
2 stage square tower with a pointed window and a circular stair tower to the
rear. A pointed arch joins the former stables to the coachman's house and
grooms quarters, and workshops and stores to the north: 2 stage square tower
with 2-light C20 windows, one with chamfered mullions and surrounds under a drip
mould; projecting C20 conservatory; adjoining the tower is a wing with a crow
stepped gable end, single light windows in both floors under hood mould on first
floor. A derelict range leads to a 3 stage square tower (restored to 2 stages):
pierced parapet on corbelled string course; projecting tourelle; oriel window
on second stage, semi-circular on plan with moulded base and cap. To the rear
of the square tower are 2 joined circular towers, of 2 stages but one taller than
the other; embattled parapets and narrow pointed windows; to the left of the
towers is a tall single light window with a cusped head, under a drip mould. To
the north-west of the 3 stage tower is a stableyard enclosed by a high rubble
wall with embattled parapet (varying from 8-20' high); 2 pointed archways at
south-west corner also with embattled parapet; workshops and outbuildings abut the
insides of the walls. 5 yards to the east of the main ranges is a former coach
house: embattled parapet; 2 storeys; cross-loop and loop windows; C20 doors
on ground floor; 3-light casement window under hood mould to east elevation.
The Rocks was a Country House of c.1610, possibly incorporating a mediaeval
building and extended and castellated in the mid C19. The majority of the
buildings were dynamited c.1955.


Listing NGR: ST7901170554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.