This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8804 / 51°52'49"N
Longitude: -0.4141 / 0°24'50"W
OS Eastings: 509258
OS Northings: 221396
OS Grid: TL092213
Mapcode National: GBR TT2.CB
Mapcode Global: VHFRF.RZYV
Entry Name: 53, Cheapside
Listing Date: 20 February 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35797
Location: Luton, LU1
Electoral Ward/Division: South
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5123 No 53
TL 0921 2/14
Built in 1882 as the Cowper Arms, a temperance tavern. Brick, pebble dash,
tile roof. Three storeys, 3 bays. Triple gable with finials and heavy plain
bargeboards, shaped tiles in apexes, and 2 side scroll brackets. Three 3-light
windows with moulded mullions and transoms and cill. Second floor is jettied
with moulded bressumer with brackets under. First floor symmetrical with
2 outer oriels and 2 inner single light windows with aprons. There is a cornice
with dentil course underneath supporting 4 small pediments over the bay divisions
of the ground floor. Bay windows to centre and right, door to left hand up
2 steps, some panelling surviving. Cellar with doors below ground floor windows.
Decorated and dated heads to rainwater gods.
Listing NGR: TL0925821396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings