This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8812 / 51°52'52"N
Longitude: -0.415 / 0°24'54"W
OS Eastings: 509192
OS Northings: 221483
OS Grid: TL091214
Mapcode National: GBR TSY.5R
Mapcode Global: VHFRF.RZG7
Entry Name: 40, Guildford Street
Listing Date: 20 February 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35818
Location: Luton, LU1
Electoral Ward/Division: South
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0912 2/6 No 40
Impressive hat factory building dated 1905, in debased Jacobean style. Colourwashed
brick with Welsh slate roof. Five storeys and attics, five bay facade.
Central turret is fronted by Jacobean gable surmounted by small pediment bearing
date; paired pilasters with frieze having swag decoration above two small
casement windows. Parapet with flat columns at bay divisions, two topped
with finials. Dentil eaves cornice. Upper three storeys divided into bays
by plain pilasters; three light casements with slightly arched heads. Single
keystones to fourth floor and triple keystone motif to second and third floors.
Moulded cill cornice to second floor, and similar shallow cornice above first
floor linking keystones to first floor windows. These have arched heads springing
from capitals of rendered pilasters stretching down to the ground. Three
central ground floor windows with slightly arched heads and keystones. Left
hand doorway replaced by modern window. Recessed double doors up five steps
Listing NGR: TL0919221483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings