This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0323 / 52°1'56"N
Longitude: -0.4906 / 0°29'26"W
OS Eastings: 503644
OS Northings: 238178
OS Grid: TL036381
Mapcode National: GBR G39.GT1
Mapcode Global: VHFQT.G50V
Entry Name: 37, Church Street
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37371
Location: Ampthill, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ampthill
Built-Up Area: Ampthill
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ampthill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
774 CHURCH STREET
TL 0338 1/32 17.7.51.
Early C18 house of 5 storeys; formerly known as Foulislea. Brick, liberally
dressed with grey stone (skirting, cills, keystones, long-and- short quoins,
rich classical cornice and plain coping above brick parapet). 5 windows.
The regular flat facade is broken in the centre, where an elaborately carved
porch (4 modified Roman Corinthian columns, surmounted by a carved entablature
including a pulvinated frieze) gives rise to a square brick bay, which
runs up the whole height of the house. This bay has 2 narrow windows on
its flanks at each upper storey. Panelled door within the porch. Up to
the cornice all courses on the facade are of headers only; the parapet
of Flemish bond: the side of English bond. A wrought iron railing, set
in a stone footing, running from the steps of the porch, encloses the whole
building. Later additions at back. Richly carved wooden staircase inside.
Nos 1 to 39 (odd) and Court House form a group with No 127 Dunstable Street.
Listing NGR: TL0364438178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings