This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0163 / 52°0'58"N
Longitude: -0.6089 / 0°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 495565
OS Northings: 236227
OS Grid: SP955362
Mapcode National: GBR F20.GXC
Mapcode Global: VHFQR.DLH6
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38328
Location: Husborne Crawley, Central Bedfordshire, MK43
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Husborne Crawley
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Husborne Crawley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HUSBORNE CRAWLEY SCHOOL LANE
10/31 Parish Church of
23.1.61 St James
Parish Church. C13, C14 and C15, substantially reworked 1911 (Kelly's
Directory (Beds), 1914, p114). Coursed rubble, a mixture of greensand and
ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel N vestry and organ
chamber, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C14 origins, rebuilt
1911. 3-light pointed-arched E window. 2 2-light pointed arched windows
flanking small doorway to S elevation. N vestry and organ chamber: also 1911,
have square-headed mullioned windows and pointed-arched N door. Nave: C13,
reworked C15, roof rebuilt 1911. C13 3-bay S arcade, C15 3-bay N arcade, all
with pointed arches, N ones taller. C15 pointed lower arch. Chancel arch is
1911. Blocked doorways of rood loft staircase to SE angle. N. aisle: C15,
reworked 1911, 2 3-light N windows with segmental heads flank a pointed-arched
doorway. S aisle: C13 and C14, reworked 1911. 2 3-light windows similar to N
aisle, flanking C14 pointed-arched doorway. C14 holy water stoup to E of door
on external wall. S porch: 1911, gabled with pointed archway and square-headed
2-light windows. Porch, chancel and nave have stone coping to gables. Aisles
and vestry have plain parapets. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with diagonal
buttresses to W, octagonal stair turret to SE, and embattled parapet.
Pointed-arched door in square surround surmounted by 3-light pointed-arched
window. Bell-stage has paired 2-light pointed-arched windows to all sides.
Interior: all roofs 1911. Plain medieval cylindrical font to nave. S aisle
E wall has C14 niche with foliate spandrels. N aisle has chest tomb to John
Thompson d.1597 and wife Dorothea, of alabaster and marble. Pair of effigies
under studded canopy supported by 5 columns, with carved cartouches to base
and canopy crest. S aisle has polychrome marble wall monuments to Robert
Slingsby d.1634, Edmund Williamson d.1737 and Talbot Williamson d.1765, latter
with urn and obelisk.
Listing NGR: SP9556536227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings