This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9885 / 51°59'18"N
Longitude: -0.6194 / 0°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 494898
OS Northings: 233126
OS Grid: SP948331
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.674
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.68WY
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 16 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38241
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN MARKET PLACE
8/138 Town Hall
Town Hall, partly converted to offices. Plaque to S elevation "Built by John
VI Duke of Bedford 1830. Restored by Hastings IX Duke of Bedford 1884.
Enlarged by Herbrand XI Duke of Bedford 1912." Original 1830 design by Edward
Blore, in loosely Jacobethan style. Mottled red brick with ashlar dressings.
Clay tile roof. 2 storeyed gabled rectangualar block with square turret to NE
angle. E gable end: central slightly projecting bay with diagonal buttresses
to angle, giving appearance of aisled building. 4-centred arched doorway
approached by flight of steps. Double doors, upper panels with pointed
arches. Above doorway is canted oriel window with carved Bedford crest to
centre. Mullioned windows with cusped lights. Buttresses are surmounted by
gargoyles and heavy panelled finials. Turret: 3 stages, divided by string
courses. Top stage has 3-centred-arched louvred lights to each side. Lower
stages have some narrower lights with cast iron diamond glazing bars. Moulded
brick eaves cornice with lombard frieze. Leaded pyramidal roof with concave
sides. Side elevations: ground floor reworked using lighter brick. Ground
floor originally open arches with metal grilles (Beds. Magazine Vol.II, pp 87-
88). Large 3-light mullion and transom windows separated by 2-stage
buttresses. First floor has 3-centred arched single lights with cast iron
diamond glazing bars. These rise slightly above eaves level and are under
narrow gablets with stone coping and finials. S elevation has 2 integral
chimney stacks with octagonal moulded brick shafts. W gable end: 2 integral
chimneys similar to S side. Large mullion and transom window to first floor.
Ground floor has low 1912 extension with mullioned windows, 3-centred arched
doorway and stone coped parapet.
Listing NGR: SP9489833126
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings