This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.959 / 51°57'32"N
Longitude: -0.6166 / 0°36'59"W
OS Eastings: 495155
OS Northings: 229851
OS Grid: SP951298
Mapcode National: GBR F2S.0YB
Mapcode Global: VHFR4.81D1
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 23 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321686
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38173
Location: Potsgrove, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Potsgrove
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Battlesden with Pottesgrove
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
23.2.61 Church of Saint Mary the
Former Parish Church, now redundant. C14, heavily reworked by JD.Sedding
1880-81. Course rubble, mostly ironstone with some clunch. Ashlar dressings.
Clay tile roofs. Chancel and nave with NW bell-turret. Chancel has 5-light
depressed 2-centred-arched E window with panel tracery. N and S elevations
each have 2 2-light pointed-arched windows with variety of tracery. Nave has
3 windows to S elevation, 2 to N elevation, all of 2-lights, pointed-arched,
and with variety of tracery. Pointed-arched N doorway with carved heads of
man and woman to dripstone stops. Pointed-arched S doorway, under gabled
porch with pointed archway, again with carved heads to stops. Nave W
elevation has 2-light pointed window surmounted by ogival-headed niche
containing statue of Virgin and child. Octagonal ashlar bell-turret with
stone spire rises from NW corner of nave roof. 2 tiers of openings to each
side of turret, lower ones rectangular, upper ones with trefoiled heads.
Spire has lucarnes to alternate sides and has cross finial. Interior: very
plain, but retains C15 roof to nave. W nave window completely made up of
fragments of medieval glass.
Listing NGR: SP9515529851
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings