History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Staunton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woburn, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9908 / 51°59'26"N

Longitude: -0.6207 / 0°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 494804

OS Northings: 233384

OS Grid: SP948333

Mapcode National: GBR F2C.5W5

Mapcode Global: VHFQY.6765

Entry Name: Staunton House

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38197

Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Woburn

Built-Up Area: Woburn

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woburn

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Woburn

Listing Text

SP 9433-9533 MOBURN BEDFORD STREET (West Side)
8/94
- Staunton House (Nos 2 to 8
consecutive )
GV II
Almshouses, S part of the group formerly known as the Staunton Almshouses.
Dated 1850 above doorway. Founded 1635 by Sir Francis Staunton of Birchmore
in his will, and granted by Act of 1760 to John Duke of Bedford. These
buildings erected by Francis 7th Duke of Bedford. Yellow brick with rendered
dressings. Clay tile roofs. Rear blocks of red brick. Main part consists of
long rectangular block bordering pavement. 2 storeys. Loosely Jacobean in
style. Symmetrical road elevation has 9 crowstepped gables in various sizes,
outer ones largest. Ground floor has 6 2-light windows flanked by 2 3-light
windows. First floor has 6 single lights flanked by 2 2-light windows. All
are cast iron lattice casements set in mullioned openings, with square heads
and moulded dripstones. Central and outer gables each have small oculus to
apex with decorative grille. Central doorway contains 6-panel round-headed
door. This is set in round-arched opening in square surround. Large keystone
rises to modillion cornice which is flanked by ornamental volutes. Volutes
are surmounted by heavy moulded finials. Above centre of cornice is moulded
semi-circular panel containing date plaque. Substantial multiple ridge stacks
with Moulded caps. To rear, linked to main block by garden walls, is low
rectangular outhouse block. Red brick with clay tile roofs, in simpler but
similar style to main block. Symmetrical arrangement with central slightly
taller gable. flow converted to communal room for residents. Forms a pair
with item 8/93.


Listing NGR: SP9480433384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.