History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maulden, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0308 / 52°1'50"N

Longitude: -0.4586 / 0°27'30"W

OS Eastings: 505841

OS Northings: 238054

OS Grid: TL058380

Mapcode National: GBR G3B.QVP

Mapcode Global: VHFQV.07D0

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 23 January 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38047

Location: Maulden, Central Bedfordshire, MK45

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Maulden

Built-Up Area: Maulden

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Maulden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ampthill

Listing Text

MAULDEN

TL 0438 CHURCH ROAD

12/60 Church of Saint Mary the
23.1.61 Virgin

GV II*

Parish Church. C14, C15 and C16, substantially rebuilt 1858-9 in C14 style by
Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Some slate roofs,
some clay tile roofs with bands of fishscale tiles. Chancel, N vestry, nave,
N aisle, S aisle, S porch, W tower. Most openings are pointed-arched, with
variety of tracery. Coped gables to most parts except N aisle. Chancel:
C19. 3-light E window. One single light and one 2-light window to S. Small
S doorway. N vestry: C19. 2-light E window. Small N doorway adjacent to
projecting gabled mausoleum. Nave: C19. 4-bay arcades to N and S. Slender
clustered columns with ornate foliate capitals. Similar chancel arch. N
aisle: W wall substantially medieval, but extensive C19 reworkings. 2 N
windows, one of 2-lights, one of 3-lights. Blocked C15 N doorway. 3-light W
window. S aisle: C19. 4-light windows to W and E. S elevation has 3
windows, 2 of 3-lights and one of 2-lights. S parch: C19. Gabled, with
pointed-arched doorway. W tower: C14 lower part, upper part C16. 3 stages,
with angle buttresses and embattled parapet. Pyramidal roof. Stair turret
projects from SE angle. 2-light window to each side of bell-stage. W
elevation has 2-light window to middle stage, with small image niche below.
Interior: various monuments. S aisle E wall has reset cover slab of raised
tomb with brasses to Richard Faldo, d.1576, and wife and children, some
brasses lost. Above is brass to Anne Faldo, d.1594. To nave W end is marble
wall monument with putti and drapery to Richard Allyn, d.1719 and wife
Dorothy, d.l720. C19 octagonal font on clustered columns shows biblical
scenes involving water and children. C19 pewing and roofs. E chancel window
1858 by Clayton and Bell.


Listing NGR: TL0584138054

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.