History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Moggerhanger, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1305 / 52°7'49"N

Longitude: -0.3325 / 0°19'56"W

OS Eastings: 514239

OS Northings: 249332

OS Grid: TL142493

Mapcode National: GBR H3P.DR2

Mapcode Global: VHGMS.6Q34

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37958

Location: Mogerhanger, Central Bedfordshire, MK44

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Mogerhanger

Built-Up Area: Moggerhanger

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Moggerhanger St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Willington

Listing Text

TL 1449 MOGERHANGER BLUNHAM ROAD (East Side)

3/32 Parish Church of St John
the Evangelist
31.10.66
GV II

Parish Church. 1860-1. By William Slater, for the widow of the Rev Edward
Henry Dawkins of Mogerhanger House as a memorial to her husband. Coursed
limestone rubble with bands of ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs
without coping or parapets. Nave, N and S aisles, N vestry, chancel tower,
polygonal apse, stair turret to NE corner of tower. Early English style.
Most windows are uncusped trefoiled lights. Most doors are pointed arched.
Most openings have alternating voussoirs of ironstone and limestone. Nave has
3-bay arcades to both sides, with foliate capitals and polychrome banding to
pointed arches. W elevation has central door with 3 windows above, flanked by
a single light to each aisle. S aisle has 3 paired windows and S door. N
aisle, extending to form vestry, has 4 paired windows and vestry door. Tower
has ? lights to each side of bell-stage, single light and door to S elevation
of bottom stage, and pyramidal roof. Apse has single light to each of 5
sides. Stair turret is polygonal, with Caernarvon arched doorway, and is lit
by several small single lights. Interior: ornate circular font on 5 pillars,
with carved scene of Christ receiving children. Most memorials are in form of
stained glass, to various members of the Dawkins and Thornton families.


Listing NGR: TL1423949332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.