History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton (Central Bedfordshire), Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0394 / 52°2'21"N

Longitude: -0.3016 / 0°18'5"W

OS Eastings: 516589

OS Northings: 239249

OS Grid: TL165392

Mapcode National: GBR H4W.2L4

Mapcode Global: VHGN5.QZFZ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37808

Location: Clifton, Central Bedfordshire, SG17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Clifton (Central Bedfordshire)

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Clifton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Southill

Listing Text

TL 1619 CLIFTON CHURCH STREET (West Side)
11/22

31.10.66 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. Early C14, C15, reworked (including most tracery and
dripstones) and enlarged 1862 by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. Coursed
rubble, mostly ironstone, with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N
chapel and vestry, nave, S porch, N aisle, W Lower. Chancel: C14. 5-light
pointed-arched E window with net tracery. 2 2-light S windows, also pointed-
arched, with low-side window below SW one. Pointed-arched S doorway. NE
window now gives onto N chapel, and has squint below. Unusually broad chancel
arch. N chapel: C15 origin, rebuilt C19. 3-light pointed E window. N vestry
also late C19, with hipped roof. Nave: C14. 2-light SW window with square
head. Pointed-arched 3-light SE window with tracery similar to chancel E
window. C15 3-bay N arcade with pointed arches. S porch: C14. archway
surmounted by niche wth later C19 figure. Small single lights to W and E
elevations. N aisle: originally C15, rebuilt C19. 2-light window, 3 and 2-
light N windows, 3 in all, all with pointed heads. Chancel, nave, aisle and
chapel have stone coping to gables. W tower: C14, rebuilt C15. 3 stages,
with embattled parapet. Octagonal stair turret to NE angle. 2-light window
with 4-centred head to each side of bell-stage. Small 2-light window with
flat head to middle stage of S elevation. 3-light W window with 3-centred
head to lower stage. Interior: C19 roofs. C13 octagonal font with paired
pointed arches to each face, on late C19 pedestal. C15 rood screen now in
tower arch, retaining some original rather worn painted panels of saints. In
N chapel alabaster altar-tomb to Sir Michael Fisher (d.1549) and his wife is
surmounted by pair of recumbant effigies and has crocketed niches with angels
holding shields to side panels, side panel now set into wall above. Retains
traces of paint to shields. Brass to N chapel floor of 1528, to John Fisher
(son of Michael) and wife.


Listing NGR: TL1658939249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.