History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congretional Church and Numbers 89 and 89a

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbey, Reading

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4553 / 51°27'19"N

Longitude: -0.9738 / 0°58'25"W

OS Eastings: 471401

OS Northings: 173424

OS Grid: SU714734

Mapcode National: GBR QLF.CR

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.2PK7

Entry Name: Congretional Church and Numbers 89 and 89a

Listing Date: 14 December 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1321954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38777

Location: Reading, RG1

County: Reading

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Caversham

Listing Text

BROAD STREET
1.
5128
(South Side)
Congregational Church
and Nos 89 and 89A
SU 7173 SW 2/413
II
2.
Included for its interior. Exterior from Broad Street (Nos 89 and 89A) is
the annexe of 1892. 2 and 4 storeys. Red brick. 3 unequal bays with 3 windows,
tower and 2 windows. Stone dressings, quoins and strings. Large archway under
tower with moulded soffit and rustication, bolection upper part. Shaped pediment
over with cartouche inscribed "Broad Street Independant Chapel" and dated on
frieze below "1662, 1892, 1800". Modern ground floor shops flank tower.
Tower capped by octagonal turret. The chapel itself is set well back in a
courtyard at rear of annexe. Probably the 1800 rebuild with alterations -
hipped slate roof 2 storey brick block with 3 arched windows. Interior a good
example of a galleried non-conformist chapel in a prosperous market town although
not as good as St Mary's Castle Street (qv). Roughly square with encircling
galleries and an organ over the dais. Panelled galleries, late Victorian pews,
angled under galleries, domed ceiling with modillion cornice. Central window
of North Gallery has copy of Burne-Jone's "Light of the World".


Listing NGR: SU7139373437

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.