This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5355 / 51°32'7"N
Longitude: -0.13 / 0°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 529793
OS Northings: 183504
OS Grid: TQ297835
Mapcode National: GBR G3.ZQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.PNMQ
Entry Name: Tomb of Sir John Soane, His Wife and Son in St Pancras Old Church Gardens
Listing Date: 16 May 1978
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477704
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2983SE PANCRAS ROAD
798-1/84/1274 Tomb of Sir John Soane, his wife and
16/05/78 son in St Pancras Old Church Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
ST PANCRAS GARDENS
Tomb to Sir John Soane and his wife
and son John)
Tomb. Erected 1816 and designed by Sir John Soane in memory of
his wife who died in 1815. Portland stone. Rectangular plan.
Tomb comprises central domed structure supported on 4 panelled
piers with ornamented capitals covering a pedimented structure
on 4 Ionic columns in a decorative style of Soane's own
invention, each side filled with an inscribed slab.
Balustraded enclosure sets out north, south and east of
central structure with staircase approach down at west end to
sealed basement vault. Dome with open spandrels having wavy
line ornament to face, topped by a small drum banded by a
snake (with tail in mouth) surmounted by a pineapple.
Balustraded enclosure with panelled dies at ends and corners
surmounted by stele, those attendant to the central part of
the monument with weepers in niches and triple stele. Some
stone balusters later replaced in terracotta.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the design of the central domed structure
influenced Giles Gilbert Scott's design of the K2 and
subsequent telephone boxes.
Listing NGR: TQ2979883410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings