This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5346 / 51°32'4"N
Longitude: -0.1445 / 0°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 528793
OS Northings: 183370
OS Grid: TQ287833
Mapcode National: GBR C4.Q2
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.FPZG
Entry Name: Numbers 2-16, 22-34, 36a and 36b and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477717
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdalene Munster Sq.
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883SE PARK VILLAGE EAST
798-1/82/1281 (West side)
14/05/74 Nos.2-16, 22-34, 36A & B (Even)
and attached railings
Street of 12 semi-detached and 4 detached, related villas.
1825-36. Designed and laid out by John Nash and his
assistants. For the Commissioners of Woods, Forests and Land
Revenues. Picturesque series of 2 and 3 storey stucco detached
villas of varying styles.
EXTERIOR: Nos 2 & 4: stucco with slate roofs and dormers. Pair
in Tudor-Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical
facade of 3 windows flanked by projecting wings containing
chimney breasts with polygonal stacks fronting the road and
slit windows. No.2, stucco porch with trellis and pointed
window with stained glass; No.4, trellis porch to part-glazed
door. Square-headed windows with 2 pointed lights (No.2 with
much stained glass) and hood moulds. Deeply projecting eaves.
Gables with half-hipped roofs and finials. Right-hand return
to No.2 with bay window rising through ground and 1st floor
and to right a large bowed bay with cast-iron veranda and 3
square-headed windows with pointed lights to ground and 1st
floor. Conical roof with dormer. No.4 garden front with
octagonal tower having crenellated parapet and lead ogee roof
with ball finial. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron
railings, No.2 with wrought-iron candelabra lamp supported by
4 griffin type creatures at entrance.
Nos 6 & 8: stucco with plain stucco bands at floor levels and
central bays with stucco quoins. Transverse pitched and slated
roofs with deep eaves and enriched slab chimney-stacks.
Symmetrical pair in Italianate or Swiss style. 3 storeys 3
windows centre and 2 storey 1 window entrance wings, slightly
recessed. Entrances on returns in wooden trellis porches.
Square-headed casements; ground floor with cast-iron
balconies, central 1st floor window blind. 2nd floor with
blind arcade of 5 arches, the 2 outer ones pierced for
windows. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with
Nos 10 & 12: stucco with low pitched hipped and slated roofs
with bracketed eaves and eaves valances. Enriched
chimney-stacks. Symmetrical pair in Regency style. 2 storeys
and semi-basement, 2 windows centre and 1 window recessed
entrance wings. Wooden trellis porches to panelled doors with
sidelights and overlights. Tripartite sashes over. Central
block with tripartite sashes; 1st floor with lugs to sills.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.
No.14: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof and
deeply projecting, bracketed eaves. Tall rectangular
chimney-stacks, set diagonally, on end walls. 2 storeys 3
windows with 2 storey 1 window extension to north and single
storey 1 window gabled extension to south. Central stucco
entrance portico with panelled double wooden doors,
segmental-headed fanlight, entablature and blocking course. 4
centred arched casements to ground and upper floors.
Single-storey later extension on left, two-storey extension on
No.16: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof having
boxed out eaves. 2 storeys 3 window centre with 1 window
recessed wing to north and single storey porch extension to
south. Square-headed, architraved doorway with wooden panelled
door, overlight and bracketed cornice over. Cornice and
blocking course to extension. Central block with plain stucco
1st floor sill band. Architraved sashes to all floors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on low brick
Nos 22 & 24 (Sussex Cottage and Albany Cottage): pair of
villas. Rusticated stucco with plain stucco 1st floor band and
1st floor window bays. Low pitched slated roof with deeply
projecting bracketed eaves; gables on front and south
elevations forming pediments. Centrally positioned large slab
chimney-stack. 2 storeys 4 windows. No.22, side entrance in
porch; No.24, front porch, both with panelled wooden doors and
fanlights. Tripartite ground floor sashes. Names of cottages
inscribed on 1st floor band. Architraved sashes to 1st floor.
Front pediment with blind oculus in tympanum. Left-hand return
with blind lunette in tympanum and tripartite 1st floor
Nos 26 & 28 (Piercefield Cottage and Wyndcliff Cottage):
stucco with low pitched, slated roof with deeply projecting
bracketed eaves. Centrally positioned large slab
chimney-stack, either side of which are flat roofed, slated
penthouse additions. Pair in classic style. 2 storeys and
attics. 2 window centre and single window projecting staircase
wings. Entrances in pedimented porches on returns; panelled
wooden doors and fanlights. Wings with round-headed,
architraved windows (margin glazing) in shallow, round-arched
architraved recesses (inscribed with names of cottages) with
balustraded projections. Entablature at impost level
continuing across the recessed front to form a shallow loggia
with trellis piers. Tripartite sashes to ground and 1st
No.30: detached villa. Stucco. 2 storeys 3 windows.
Architraved, round-arched ground floor openings linked by
moulded bands at impost level. Central doorway with wooden
panelled door and radial fanlight. Sashes with margin glazing.
1st floor, architraved sashes. Cornice and blocking course.
Prominent chimney-stacks on end walls. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES:
attached cast-iron railings with urn finials.
Nos 32 & 34: stucco with pitched slated roofs with projecting
eaves. Centrally positioned slab chimney-stack. Double fronted
pair with gabled 4 window centre and recessed 1 window wings
with entrances. 3 storey centre. Architraved doorways with
bracketed cornices; fanlights and wooden panelled doors. Plain
stucco 1st floor sill band. Architraved casements; 2nd floor,
Nos 36A & 36B: detached villa. Stucco with slated pitched roof
and gables over 3 1st floor windows and 1st floor windows on
right hand return. 2 storeys 4 windows. Octagonal, 3 storey
wing overlooking garden. Asymmetrically placed entrance of
panelled door with overlight. Ground floor windows,
square-headed 4-pane sashes (left hand blind). To right, a
chimney breast rising from ground floor. Plain stucco band at
1st floor level. 3 pointed arch 4-pane sashes under gables
with scalloped wooden bargeboards and pointed finials.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Park Village East and West (qv) were first
sketched out by John Nash in 1823 as developments of small
independent houses at the edge of Regent's Park. They had
great influence on the development of the Victorian
middle-class suburb. Both villages originally backed on to the
Cumberland Basin arm of the Regent's Canal, constructed
1813-16 to service Cumberland Market; filled in 1942-3. East
side of street demolished when the railway cutting was widened
c1900-6. The original Nos 18 & 20 were demolished following
damage in World War II.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and
Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: -1949: 156-8; Saunders A:
Regent's Park: -1969; Tyack G: Sir James Pennethorne: -1993:
Listing NGR: TQ2879383370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings