History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 1 to 7 and Attached Railings and Lamp Holder

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5225 / 51°31'20"N

Longitude: -0.1178 / 0°7'4"W

OS Eastings: 530677

OS Northings: 182072

OS Grid: TQ306820

Mapcode National: GBR K8.PD

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.XZ2R

Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 7 and Attached Railings and Lamp Holder

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477631

Location: Camden, London, WC1N

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3082SE GREAT ORMOND STREET
798-1/96/664 (South side)
24/10/51 Nos.1-7 (Odd)
and attached railings and
lamp-holder
(Formerly Listed as:
GREAT ORMOND STREET
Nos.1-15 (Odd))

GV II*

4 terraced houses. c1710-15, restored c1980 by Donald Insall &
Associates for Rugby Estates.
No.1: built by J Ritchbell, J Walker and J Hiron. Brown brick
with red brick dressings. 2nd and 3rd floor refaced in
multi-coloured stock brick. 4 storeys and basement. 3 windows.
Wooden Doric doorcase with fluted pilasters carrying
entablature; square-headed radial patterned fanlight and
panelled door. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush frame
sashes with exposed boxing. Parapet. INTERIOR: not inspected
but noted to retain panelling and staircase with spiral
balusters. Nos 3, 5, 7: altered. Built by J Cooper and E
Chapman. Brown brick with red brick dressings. 3rd floor
rebuilt in multi-coloured stock brick. 4 storeys and
basements. 3 windows each. Wooden Doric doorcases with fluted
pilasters carrying entablature; square-headed radial patterned
fanlights and panelled doors. No.7 with fine carved, foliated
brackets and hood. Gauged brick flat arches to sash windows;
No.3 with flush frames and exposed boxing, No.5 recessed with
exposed boxing and No.7 recessed. Moulded stone bands at 1st
and 2nd floor levels. Stone cornices at 3rd floor level.
Parapets. INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to retain
panelling and original staircases, No.3 with spiral balusters
and carved brackets.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn and
torch flambe finials to areas; No.7 with cast-iron
lamp-holder.


Listing NGR: TQ3066882068

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.