History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

25, Old Gloucester Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5208 / 51°31'15"N

Longitude: -0.1222 / 0°7'19"W

OS Eastings: 530378

OS Northings: 181884

OS Grid: TQ303818

Mapcode National: GBR J8.QZ

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T1RG

Entry Name: 25, Old Gloucester Street

Listing Date: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322087

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477653

Location: Camden, London, WC1N

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3081NW OLD GLOUCESTER STREET
798-1/100/1751 (West side)
No.25

GV II

St George the Martyr Boys School, now private residence.
1877-8. By J and S Flint Clarkson. Stock brick with yellow
brick and some stone dressings, slate roofs. Early Gothic
style comparable with No.24 (qv).
4 storeys, with main front to Old Gloucester Street and
shallow north front exposed. Front mainly symmetrical with
sash windows grouped mostly in pairs and segment-headed, some
framed by high pointed arches over tympana. String course over
ground storey. Triple gables over top storey, stepped at
sides, the centre gable broader and higher; chimneys between
gables. Entrances at north end of front and east end of
return, both with pointed arches under hood moulds and with
pointed fanlights over doors enclosing circular openings. On
north-east angle, chamfered cornerstone with biblical
quotation and date 1877. Later rear extension of no
architectural interest.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Forms a group with St George the Martyr Church, Queen Square
(qv) and No.24 (qv).
(The Builder: 14 July 1877; The Builder: 23 February 1878).


Listing NGR: TQ3038981870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.