This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5949 / 51°35'41"N
Longitude: 0.6844 / 0°41'3"E
OS Eastings: 586028
OS Northings: 191862
OS Grid: TQ860918
Mapcode National: GBR QNP.ZTK
Mapcode Global: VHJKY.T55P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 27 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122978
Location: Hawkwell, Rochford, Essex, SS5
Civil Parish: Hawkwell
Built-Up Area: Rochford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Hawkwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
HAWKWELL RECTORY ROAD
TQ 89 SE
4/6 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C14 origin, C15 alterations and bell turret. C19 restorations.
Stone rubble, red plain tiled roofs, weatherboarded bell turret, shingle spire.
Chancel, Nave, north west vestry, bell turret, south porch. Chancel, east wall,
buttressed at angles, C19 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2
centre arch, label with head stops, no windows to north wall, south wall window
of 2 trefoiled lights, square head and label, former doorway to west now partly
blocked and converted into a trefoiled window with 2 centre arch. Nave south
wall, 3 buttresses one at western angle, one to east of south porch and one at
junction of Nave and Chancel. C19 2 light ogee window, traceried roundels over,
square head and label. Gabled south porch, bargeboards to gable, panel dated
1884. 5 cant roof, each timber stop chamfered. Wooden side seats. South
doorway C15 or earlier, 2 centre arch of 2 chamfered orders, segmental rear
arch. 5 board nailed door, the 2 strap hinges with incised chevron motifs.
Similar window to north wall. Lean-to north vestry with concrete tiled upper
roof and corrugated asbestos to lower level, C20 fixed window and a 2 centre
arched window to west wall. Angle buttresses to Nave west wall and a C19/C20
window of 3 cinquefoil lights, tracery over. 2 centre arched head and label.
Interior. Chancel, plastered 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. Piscina, sunk
chamfered square surround, square drain in forward square bowl with square
soffit. C20 stained glass to east and south windows. Chamfered 2 centred
Chancel arch, moulded capital to semi-octagonal attached shaft. Late C20 altar
and altar rails. No pulpit, no font. Nave. C19 coloured tiled floor.
Segmental head to north door. Roof of 7 cants with tall 4 armed octagonal crown
post with moulded capital and base on chamfered tie beam. Moulded wall plates.
Some C19 stained glass to windows. Brass on south door dated 1857 relates to
will of Robert Sudley Jan. 16, 1615 who left money to purchase 6 acres of land
known as The Poor Lands and a double cottage for the use of the poor of this
parish. Belfry, timber frame with corner posts, arched braces to side girts.
Saltire upper braces. Later inserted posts and braces. Chamfered and square
cut mouldings to eastern corner posts. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ8602891862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings