This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5275 / 51°31'39"N
Longitude: 0.7939 / 0°47'37"E
OS Eastings: 593896
OS Northings: 184659
OS Grid: TQ938846
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.3JC
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.QV1V
Entry Name: Gunnery Drill Shed, Shoebury Garrison
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122953
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA CHAPEL ROAD
(north east side), Shoebury Garrison
28.4.86 Gunnery Drill Shed,
Gunnery drill shed. 1859, lecture room added 1908. Rendered plinth, brick with C20 asbestos covering to original iron-framed north-light roof. EXTERIOR: single-storey; 9-bay range, with C20 additions. Coupled red brick pilasters with moulded capitals flank stock brick panels containing tall arched openings with brick keystones. Central tall sliding iron doors to each facade, most bays contain high-level large-paned windows above blocked former gunposts. Modillion cornice with stone top below asymmetrical gables of the north-light roof outlined in projecting brickwork. INTERIOR: single-span valley girders composed of bolted plates. HISTORY: purpose designed for gunnery drill and an early example of free-span north-light roofs. The oak-framed gun posts were bricked up in the 1960s. Shoebury was expanded in 1859 as the first British School of Gunnery. One of the earliest indoor drill sheds, forming part of a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1859-: CTR 338-366).
Listing NGR: TQ9389684659
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings