History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blocks E-H, Shoebury Garrison

A Grade II Listed Building in Shoeburyness, Southend-on-Sea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5285 / 51°31'42"N

Longitude: 0.7943 / 0°47'39"E

OS Eastings: 593922

OS Northings: 184762

OS Grid: TQ939847

Mapcode National: GBR RR4.3MB

Mapcode Global: VHKHN.QV84

Entry Name: Blocks E-H, Shoebury Garrison

Listing Date: 28 April 1986

Last Amended: 17 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122956

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Southend-on-Sea

Listing Text

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA HOSPITAL ROAD
(north west side), Shoebury Garrison

5/10029 Blocks E-H, Shoebury Garrison
28.4.86

GV II

Terrace of 6 NCO houses, 1 added to left, and now 4. 1861, drawings signed by Cpt Sykes, RE, Inspector of Works. Yellow stock brick with brick chamfered square ridge stacks and square end gable stack, and slate roof. Single-depth plan with rear service range. EXTERIOR: each a single storey; 5-bay range, with 6-window left-hand section. Each a symmetrical front with rubbed brick heads to mid C20 doors and overlights, and horned 4/4-pane sashes. Left-hand addition has doorway in the left-hand end gable. Rear gabled service ranges with attic hatches and 6/6-pane sashes. INTERIOR: altered mid C20, contains flush 4-panel doors. HISTORY: sergeant's accommodation at the first British School of Gunnery, opened 1859. Included as part of a group with the hospital (qv), within a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: CTR 361; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).


Listing NGR: TQ9392284762

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.