This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8832 / 51°52'59"N
Longitude: 0.1886 / 0°11'18"E
OS Eastings: 550730
OS Northings: 222781
OS Grid: TL507227
Mapcode National: GBR MDL.SLQ
Mapcode Global: VHHLP.7X1P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121495
Location: Birchanger, Uttlesford, Essex, CM23
Civil Parish: Birchanger
Built-Up Area: Birchanger
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Birchanger St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 52 SW 25/87 21.2.67 Church of St Mary
A small flint and stone building of early C12 origin with an early C13 chancel
which is undivided externally from the nave. It was extensively restored in
the C19 with an addition to the north side. The round west tower was destroyed
in the C18 and there is now a modern bellcote. The nave has a west doorway
of circa 1125 (reset) and there is a blocked south doorway of similar date.
The tympanum and frieze in each doorway is decorated with saltire crosses.
The arch of the south doorway is decorated with foliage scrolls. The chancel
has 4 early C13 lancets. Fittings include a C15 font and 7 C15 benches (restored).
The organ built by August Gern is the only unspoiled example of his work in
the country. Graded for its architectural and historical value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL5073022781
Other nearby listed buildings