History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 1 and 2 Church Cottages, Trinity Byegones and 'The Granary' Wholefood Store

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8571 / 51°51'25"N

Longitude: 1.1633 / 1°9'48"E

OS Eastings: 617932

OS Northings: 222341

OS Grid: TM179223

Mapcode National: GBR VRK.DY9

Mapcode Global: VHLCS.3LW7

Entry Name: Nos 1 and 2 Church Cottages, Trinity Byegones and 'The Granary' Wholefood Store

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120320

Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Built-Up Area: Thorpe-le-Soken

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

THORPE-LE-SOKEN
TM 1622-1722
8/91

HIGH STREET
(south-west side)

Nos. 1 and 2, Church
Cottages, Trinity
Byegones and 'The
Granary' Wholefood
store.

GV
II

House, now 2 cottages and shop. C18, altered in C19. Timber framed, clad
with red brick in Flemish bond at front and sides, rear plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Main range facing NE, with an internal stack at each
end, and service wing to rear of left part, with end stack and one internal
stack, with red clay pantiles on the right pitch only. C19/early C20,
single-storey lean-to extension to right of main range, now 'The Granary'
Wholefood Store, with slate roof. Weatherboarded lean-to extension in rear
right angle, with slate roof. C19 lean-to extension in rear left angle, with
slate roof. Lean-to extension to rear of rear service range, roofed with red
clay pantiles. 2 storeys. Ground floor, early C19 double bow shopfront, each
window of 24 lights with crown glass, 4 fluted pilasters and moulded cornice
(Trinity Byegones), and 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights with flat brick arches.
First floor, 2 similar sashes and 2 early C19 sashes of 8 lights, all with flat
brick arches, symmetrically arranged. One C20 glazed door (Trinity Byegones),
one flush 4-panel door (no. 1), and one flush 6-panel door, the top panels
glazed, in semi-circular arch (no. 2). Roof of main range hipped. 'The
Granary' Wholefood Store has a plain shop window, half-glazed door, and painted
wooden fascia.


Listing NGR: TM1793222341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.