History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hillhouse Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.867 / 51°52'1"N

Longitude: 1.1299 / 1°7'47"E

OS Eastings: 615583

OS Northings: 223345

OS Grid: TM155233

Mapcode National: GBR TPZ.Y76

Mapcode Global: VHLCR.JBPL

Entry Name: Hillhouse Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322623

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120326

Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Weeley

Listing Text

THORPE-LE-SOKEN HILLHOUSE LANE
TM 12 SE
5/97 Hillhouse Farmhouse

- II

House. Mid-C16, altered in late C16 and C19. Timber framed, clad with red
brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing NE,
comprising a 2-bay 'hall' with a late C16 stack in the rear part of the left
bay, a parlour/solar bay to the left, and a service bay to the right with an
external stack at the end. Small single-storey lean-to extension at the left
end. C19 parallel range of red brick in Flemish bond, to the rear of the 3
right bays. 2 storeys. NE elevation, 4-window range of C20 casements. The NW
elevation has on the ground floor one early C19 sash of 16 lights, and other
C19/20 windows, and an early C19 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, with a
plain overlight. Gablet hip at left end of roof. Dogtooth eaves course.
Original sprockets to rear of left bay. Grouped diagonal shafts. Jowled posts,
close studding. In partition at right end of 'hall', twin service doorways with
Tudor heads, and a gap for a doorway to the former stair; this binding beam is
chamfered with broach stops. The binding beam in the middle of the 'hall' has
been scarfed at the front end, and secured with forelock bolts, possibly
indicating the position of the original stack. 2 chamfered longitudinal beams
with late step stops, plain joists of horizontal section. Blocked unglazed
window to rear of 'hall' with 4 diamond mortices and shutter groove. On the
first floor at the left end, 3 diamond mortices and shutter groove for former
unglazed window. The solar bay has been ceiled c.1600 with 2 ovolo-moulded
longitudinal beams, meeting similarly moulded timbers in the hip. Crownpost
roof with axial bracing, not sooted. Some original wattle and daub infill in
the roof. This house was built in 2 storeys from the outset, but retaining the
typical 3-part medieval plan.


Listing NGR: TM1558323345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.