History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9004 / 51°54'1"N

Longitude: 1.1804 / 1°10'49"E

OS Eastings: 618896

OS Northings: 227209

OS Grid: TM188272

Mapcode National: GBR VQZ.Z2T

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.DHWH

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120264

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Built-Up Area: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

GREAT OAKLEY THE AVENUE
TM 1827-1927 (east side)

7/22 The Old Rectory

GV II

House. Early C19, in Gothick style. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Main house of complex plan, approximately square, with
3 internal stacks, facing N. Service wing set back to left, with end stack, and
late C19 single-storey lean-to extension beyond, with slate roof. Main house of
2 storeys and attics, service wing of 2 storeys. The main house has a 3-window
range of original sashes of 16 lights with shallow segmental arches, plastered
reveals and crown glass. Central door with moulded stiles and 4-centred head,
doorway with richly moulded jambs and arch, and in the spandrels a rose,
portcullis and foliage, all of plaster, in buttressed and crenellated 2-storey
tower-porch, with moulded plaster string at first-floor level, and 2 chamfered
loops in each side wall. Grouped octagonal chimney shafts. The service wing
has on the ground floor one C20 casement in an original aperture, another
altered to a C20 glazed door with side-light, and on the first floor 3 original
sashes of 3+6 lights with shallow segmental arches, plastered reveals and crown
glass. Plain chimney shaft. The rear elevation has on the ground floor one
original sash of 15 lights, 2 of 12 lights, and one tripartite sash of 5-15-5
lights, on the first floor one tripartite sash of 3-9-3 lights, one sash of 12
lights, 2 of 4+8 lights and one blind aperture, and on the attic floor one
original sash of 6 lights, with flat arches of gauged brick, plastered reveals
and crown glass. There are moulded plaster labels over most of the windows of
the main house. This house is an exceptionally complete example of its style and
period. Shown in the tithe award of 1841 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258)


Listing NGR: TM1889627209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.