This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4844 / 54°29'3"N
Longitude: -1.8814 / 1°52'53"W
OS Eastings: 407778
OS Northings: 509897
OS Grid: NZ077098
Mapcode National: GBR HJ9L.G7
Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.2KB2
Entry Name: Monument and Adjacent Stone 300 Metres South-West of Moor Gate
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111644
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 00 NE NZ 07770989 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE
10/55 Monument and
300 metres south-
west of moor gate
Monument, dated 1892. Shap granite. Tapering pyramid-topped obelisk on
splayed plinth and square base; overall height 3 metres. Inscription on
plinth 'AT THIS STAND (CARBUS) WERE SHOT 190 GROUSE AT A SINGLE DRIVE LASTING
TWENTY FIVE MINUTES BY SIR FREDERICK MILBANK BART. M.P. ON THE 20TH AUGUST
1872 AT WHICH TIME JOSEPH COLLINSON WAS HEAD KEEPER. ERECTED BY LADY
MILBANK IN COMMEMORATION 1892'. Inscription on base 'TOTAL BAG, AUGUST 20TH
1872 2,070 GROUSE (SIX SHOOTERS). TOTAL KILLED IN THE SEASON 17,064 GROUSE
ON WEMMERGILL MOOR'. On adjacent stone 'THIS MEMORIAL WAS REMOVED FROM
WEMMERGILL MOOR TO THIS SITE AFTER SIR FREDERICK MILBANK CAME INTO POSSESSION
OF BARNINGHAM MOOR'.
Included for social-historical interest: Wemmergill Moor, the scene of the
slaughter commemorated, lies south-west of Middleton-in-Teesdale.
Listing NGR: NZ0777809897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings