History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5 Boundary Stones on Border with Cumbria

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanhope, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7266 / 54°43'35"N

Longitude: -2.3256 / 2°19'32"W

OS Eastings: 379124

OS Northings: 536895

OS Grid: NY791368

Mapcode National: GBR DF6S.9F

Mapcode Global: WH929.7GTC

Entry Name: 5 Boundary Stones on Border with Cumbria

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322754

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111849

Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanhope

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Heatherycleugh

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Nenthead

Listing Text

FOREST AND FRITH YAD MOSS
NY73NE, NY79123690,
NY78743641
1/48 5 boundary stones
on border with
Cumbria.
II

5 boundary stones. Circa 1850. Sandstone ashlar. Square-section blocks,
c. 1.0 metre long, each with pecked lower panels below plain panels with
inscriptions; low domed pyramidal tops. West face of each inscribed GH for
Greenwich Hospital, and east face inscribed DC for Duke of Cleveland: most
northerly inscribed EC, probably for Ecclesiastical Commissioners, on north;
these inscriptions in large Roman capitals. Most northerly also bears date
1880 in smaller plain capitals on south face, probably referring to confirmation
of boundary. They mark land ownership on a lead-rich hillside, and lie on the
boundary between Cumbria and County Durham. Henry Vane of Raby Castle became
Duke of Cleveland in 1832; in 1857 the boundary was described as 'recently
surveyed'. 2 most northern stones lying on ground at time of survey.

Sources: W. Fordyce History and Antiquities of County Palatine of Durham 1857
v. II, p. 64; A. Raistrick Two Centuries of Industrial Welfare 1974


Listing NGR: NY7912436895

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.