This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6747 / 54°40'28"N
Longitude: -1.8177 / 1°49'3"W
OS Eastings: 411856
OS Northings: 531080
OS Grid: NZ118310
Mapcode National: GBR HGRD.81
Mapcode Global: WHC50.1RQQ
Entry Name: Hamsterley Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111866
Location: Hamsterley, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Hamsterley
Built-Up Area: Hamsterley (nr Witton-le-Wear)
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hamsterley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
23/64 Hamsterley Baptist
Baptish Chapel and Sunday School. Dated 1774 over door. Roughly-coursed and
squared sandstone with quoins; and fourth bay coursed rubble, with ashlar
dressings. Synthetic stone roof with stone gable coping and brick chimney.
Round-headed keyed surround, the key dated 1774 and inscribed BETHEL in Hebrew,
over 3-panel door with 2-pane fanlight in third bay. Keyed round heads to 2
large sashes with glazing bars at left; quoins to right of door. In fourth bay
a large sash with fine glazing bars, flat stone lintel and sill. Gable coping
on moulded kneeler over quoins; chimney at left.
Rear elevation shows door from Sunday School to graveyard; first-floor
horizontal sliding sash,in Sunday School,with broad glazing bars.
Interior shows stair, opposite door, leading to left and right galleries, with
moulded handrail on stick balusters and carved tread ends; later tongue-and-
groove partition against left balustrade; wall at right of stair. Chapel rich
in original features with side steps to panelled pulpit; pedimented panel as
pulpit back between windows. Pews, with shaped ends and panelled backs,
flanking space in front of pulpit, where original font is said to be in floor,
and under gallery which has similar pews. Coat pegs along side and back of
gallery. Panelled dado in entrance passage with small hinged flap to Chapel.
Small panelled cupboard in front wall beside left gable.
Listing NGR: NZ1185631080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings