This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.673 / 54°40'22"N
Longitude: -1.8041 / 1°48'14"W
OS Eastings: 412729
OS Northings: 530895
OS Grid: NZ127308
Mapcode National: GBR HGVD.6N
Mapcode Global: WHC50.8T40
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111874
Location: Hamsterley, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Hamsterley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hamsterley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
11/72 (inset) Church of St. James
Parish church. Mostly C13, incorporating C12 door; slightly later north
transept; C19 alterations (fragments in porch dated 1883) including restoration
of roof; panel over door 'Restored in 60th year. Rev. J.G. Milner 1884'.
Mixed stone rubble, much of it coarse sandstone, with gritstone quoins, ashlar
dressings, and plinth to transepts; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings.
Cruciform with south porch. Gabled porch has open wide-chamfered pointed arch
on moulded imposts and irregular-block jambs. Early boarded inner door, with
strap hinges, in wide-chamfered round-headed surround under dripmould
continuous with impost blocks; half-pyramid chamfer stops. Sundial dated 1803,
and panel referring to 1884 restoration, in porch gable peak. Small cross-
incised grave cover as quoin in porch and 2 others as side bench; 2 others,
edges to outside, in chancel quoins. Priest's door in east wall of south
transept with incised grave slab as lintel. Protruding from west wall of south
transept a raised incised cross grave cover and a female effigy. Lancets,
partly restored, including 3 stepped east lights, except for large pointed-
arched north transept window of 3 elongated cusped lancets under head-
stopped dripmould, 3-light late C19 window in south nave, and single
rectangular chamfered west light under corbelled embattled bellcote.
Interior: limewashed plaster-with ashlar dressings; arch-braced chancel roof
on corbelled wall posts; nave and transepts have stone-corbelled tie beams
with 4 posts to collar. 2-centred chancel arch on nutmeg-moulded imposts, and
wide 2-centred transept arches, all chamfered, the north arch renewed.
Internal quoins at north-east angle of nave. Chancel has blocked north window
with trefoil head; similar heads to south transept windows. Trefoil-headed
piscina with nail-head moulding, and fluted bowl; similar modern piscina in
transept; aumbries in chancel and south transept. Several medieval incised
grave covers set in wall plaster. Bowl font an roll-moulded pedestal. East
window by L.C. Evetts. Part of box pew surviving in north transept. Gothic-
style pulpit, c. 1880, with panels formed by Minton tiles, signed Moyr Smith,
showing scenes from Bible and from Pilgrims Progress. Funeral hatchment in
Listing NGR: NZ1272930897
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings