History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stob Green House

A Grade II Listed Building in Eggleston, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.61 / 54°36'35"N

Longitude: -1.996 / 1°59'45"W

OS Eastings: 400357

OS Northings: 523869

OS Grid: NZ003238

Mapcode National: GBR GHH4.P7

Mapcode Global: WHB45.9DS8

Entry Name: Stob Green House

Listing Date: 16 July 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111803

Location: Eggleston, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Eggleston

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Eggleston

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Eggleston

Listing Text

EGGLESTON B6278(North side off)
NZ02SW
20/2 Stob Green House
16.7.79
II
House. Circa 1774 incorporating earlier building. Coursed rubble, the upper
storey of smaller stones, with millstone grit quoins and ashlar dressings;
stone-flagged roof with stone ridge. L-plan. Main house 2 storeys, 3 bays,
the third wider. Left cross wing one storey, with 5 bays on return to one-bay
front. Main house has 3 nosed steps up to renewed 6-panel door and fanlight
with Gothic glazing bars in raised keyed stone surround with impost blocks, the
left jamb with eroded inscription W/IT/FB/1774. Renewed sashes with glazing
bars in raised ogee surrounds. Roof gable copings on curved kneelers; 2 end
chimneys with bands. Rear elevation shows central blocked door and loft door
above. Left cross wing,originally a separate building, now attached by short
passage to left return of main house. Inner return has flat stone lintels over
renewed doors and windows; inserted vehicle door. Outer return has round
opening c. one metre diameter, formed by 2 large stones, at bottom of central
bay; perhaps originally an arrangement for disposing of manure.

Source: North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group,
report No. 479. (Yorkshire Archaeological Society archives M.S. 1275).


Listing NGR: NZ0035723869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.