History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Locomotion One Public House and East Platform

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Aycliffe, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5971 / 54°35'49"N

Longitude: -1.5816 / 1°34'53"W

OS Eastings: 427131

OS Northings: 522515

OS Grid: NZ271225

Mapcode National: GBR KHD8.DV

Mapcode Global: WHC5H.PQ25

Entry Name: Locomotion One Public House and East Platform

Listing Date: 10 April 1980

Last Amended: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112125

Location: Great Aycliffe, County Durham, DL5

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Great Aycliffe

Built-Up Area: Newton Aycliffe

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Great Aycliffe

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Newton Aycliffe

Listing Text


NZ 22 SE GREAT AYCLIFFE HEIGHINGTON LANE
(South side)
10/13

10/4/80 Locomotion One Public
House and east platform
(previously listed as
Heighington Railway
Station)
II


Railway Station, formerly Aycliffe Lane then Heighington Lane. Now Public House.
Circa 1835 with later C19 additions to rear. Dressed sandstone; roof of large
Welsh slates with brick chimneys; cobble platform. T-plan: single-storey,
3-bay front to track with 2-storey returns and rear. Front has tooled-and-
margined quoins. Left bay projects to front and rear and has inserted C20 door;
small 4-pane casement to original booking office on inner return. Right section
has two 12-pane sashes with projecting sills and flush lintels. Low-pitched roof,
hipped over left bay and right return. Ridge chimney and lateral stack to right
have stone bands. Interior retains some later Cl9 fittings including panelled
dados and booking-office grill. Small cobbled area, in front of station, said to
be part of the original 1825 platform. Lower rear additions not of special
interest. This building was an early station and booking office for the Stockton
and Darlington Railway and occupies the site where, in 1825, George Stephenson's
"Locomotion No. 1" engine was put on the rails for the inauguration of the
Stockton and Darlington service.


Listing NGR: NZ2713122515

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.