This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9799 / 54°58'47"N
Longitude: -1.6153 / 1°36'55"W
OS Eastings: 424718
OS Northings: 565101
OS Grid: NZ247651
Mapcode National: GBR SP0.96
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.5325
Entry Name: Former Department of Agriculture, Now School of Architecture
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304903
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2465 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNIVERSITY QUADRANGLE
14/554 Former Department of
Agriculture, now School
University department. 1913 by W.H. Knowles F.S.A. (panel at right of entrance and
foundation stone). Brown brick with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles.
Symmetrical. Tudor style. 2 storeys and attics; 1:3:1 bays, the outer wide bays
under gables. 4 steps up to central open porch with moulded Tudor arch under corbelled
oriel; stone mullioned and transomed windows in irregular-block surrounds; buttressed
end bays have central buttress to corbelled first-floor oriel; 7-light windows in
gable peaks. 3 gabled dormers; roll-moulded continuous parapet. 2 tall stacks with
ashlar plinth and cornice, with 3 chimneys each. Panel in porch: half of cost of
building borne by Clement Stephenson, half by the Ministry of Agriculture.
Listing NGR: NZ2471865101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings