History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colliery Disaster Memorial in York Hill Cemetery, Circa 70 Metres East of Entrance

A Grade II Listed Building in Spennymoor, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7074 / 54°42'26"N

Longitude: -1.5878 / 1°35'16"W

OS Eastings: 426658

OS Northings: 534783

OS Grid: NZ266347

Mapcode National: GBR KGC0.1B

Mapcode Global: WHC4X.LY34

Entry Name: Colliery Disaster Memorial in York Hill Cemetery, Circa 70 Metres East of Entrance

Listing Date: 14 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112246

Location: Spennymoor, County Durham, DL16

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Spennymoor

Built-Up Area: Spennymoor

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Tudhoe Grange

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Spennymoor

Listing Text


NZ 23 SE SPENNYMOOR FIVE LANE ENDS
Tudhoe

6/77 Colliery disaster
memorial in York
Hill Cemetery,
circa 70 metres
east of entrance
GV II

Colliery disaster memorial. Circa 1882. Probably by G. Ryder and Sons,
Bishop Auckland. Sandstone ashlar with granite shafts. Shaped base to square
pedestal with moulded plinth, cornice and crocket capitals on corner shafts.
Inscriptions incised on all four panels. High octagonal spire, with blind
tracery and leaf decoration on alternate panels, has cross finial and rests on
square block which has scenes carved in low relief on sides, and flower and
beast decoration. West panel shows scene in pit, with rescuer, in suspended
loop, carrying dead miner; south shows clasped hands, and motto 'Friendship';
east a mother and child, weeping; north a miner walking to work, in cap,
breeches and jacket, carrying lamp and pick, beside a railing.

Gothic-shaped panels on pedestal have on west: 'In memory of the 37 Men and
Boys who lost their lives in the Lamentable explosion at Tudhoe Colliery
April 18 1882. Erected by their fellow workmen and friends as a token of
sincere respect.' Other panels bear lists of names, beginning with oldest
aged 66, and ending with youngest aged 15, with family groups being listed
with the oldest: Places of burial named.

A vivid reminder of the problems faced in the C19 coal mines andofthe communities
around them. A similar monument stands in Trimdon cemetery.

Source: H.C. Surtees, the History of the Parishes of Tudhoe and Sunnybrow,
(Mainsforth), 1925.


Listing NGR: NZ2665834783

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.