History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Shildon, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6224 / 54°37'20"N

Longitude: -1.6417 / 1°38'30"W

OS Eastings: 423234

OS Northings: 525314

OS Grid: NZ232253

Mapcode National: GBR JGZZ.CR

Mapcode Global: WHC5G.R2FP

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322841

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112178

Location: Shildon, County Durham, DL4

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Shildon

Built-Up Area: Shildon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Shildon

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Shildon

Listing Text



NZ 22 NW SHILDON ALL SAINT'S ROAD, New Shildon
(South end, off)

4/62 Church of All Saints

II


Parish church. 1868-9 by J.P. Pritchett with early C20 narthex. Rock-faced
dressed sandstone and brick-lined interior. Graduated green slate roofs;
narthex has Welsh slate roof. North-west tower; nave with western narthex;
chancel with eastern apse and north and south vestries. Early English style
with chamfered plinth and plate-tracery windows.

Tall and elaborate square-plan tower,with octagonal broach spire,adjoins north-
west bay of nave. Angle-buttressed lower stage has pointed-arched north doorway
and small lancets above. Middle, belfry stage has louvred lancets in crocketed
gablets with prominent gargoyles. Spire has 4 bands of stone fish-scale tiles.

Buttressed 5-bay nave has 2-light plate-tracery windows under pointed arches
with alternating rock-faced and ashlar voussoirs. West end has large sexfoil
window. Chamfered eaves band and very steeply-pitched roof with flat-coped
gables. Buttressed, triple-gabled narthex has central quatrefoil flanked by
groups of 3 lancets.

Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel has buttressed, semicircular apse with 3 lancets;
datestone (April 13th 1868) beneath north-eastern lancet. Chamfered eaves band
and very steeply-pitched roof.

Vestries have low, monopitch roofs with coped ends. North vestry has pair of
trefoil-headed lancets and a stepped lateral stack.

Plain, painted interior. Nave roof has 4 principal trusses with arch-braced
collars. Tall and wide, pointed chancel arch has roll moulding and hoodmould
on headstops.


Listing NGR: NZ2323425314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.