This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7719 / 54°46'18"N
Longitude: -1.5834 / 1°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 426901
OS Northings: 541969
OS Grid: NZ269419
Mapcode National: GBR KFD8.05
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.NB73
Entry Name: Durham School Luce Music Centre and Porter's Lodge Adjoining
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110433
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Neville's Cross
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE QUARRYHEADS LANE
NZ 24 SE (West side)
4/378 Durham School Luce
Music Centre and
Lodge; gymnasium, music room, workshop and laboratory all now music building.
1889-1904 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Hammer-dressed sandstone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Free Jacobean style.
2 storeys, 5 bays and one storey and attics, 6 bays: 11 bays in all. 5 left
bays: canted 2-storey porch in fifth bay has Tudor-arched door with Gothic
tracery, dated 1904, and carved spandrels; raised panel over has coat of arms
in stepped moulded surround; small windows either side. Stone-mullioned-and-
transomed windows above under parapet with Tudor flower string and roll-moulded
coping. Ground floor windows of one, 2 and 3 lights; high windows above,
similar to porch upper windows, break eaves under gabled dormers which have
moulded, flat-ended copings. Heraldic glass in porch window. 5 bays to right:
central 3-bay pent extension with central door under attic gable. Flat Tudor-
arched surround to door, with carved panel above dated 1899, flanked by ogee-
coped pilasters under continuous cornice; cross windows either side. 2-light
windows above; clock and inscription FLOREAT DUNELMIA above door. 4-light
gabled dormers flanking clock gable. Left end bay has ground-floor plain door
and window. One-bay right wing has 3-light mullioned-and-transomed window
under gable. Steeply-pitched roof has massive corniced left end chimney;
battlemented centre rear chimney; plain right chimney. Ball finials on gables.
Listing NGR: NZ2690141969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings