History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crown Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elvet and Gilesgate, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.774 / 54°46'26"N

Longitude: -1.5687 / 1°34'7"W

OS Eastings: 427845

OS Northings: 542203

OS Grid: NZ278422

Mapcode National: GBR KFH7.5F

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.W86J

Entry Name: Crown Court

Listing Date: 6 May 1952

Last Amended: 10 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110360

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

DURHW AND FRAMWELLGATE OLD ELVET
NZ 2742 SE (South side)
Crown Court (formerly
15/308 listed as Assize Courts
6/5/52 in Court Lane

GV II*

Crown Courts. Circa 1811 by George Moneypenny and Ignatius Bonomi; interior
altered c.1870 bv W. Crozier. Sandstone ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roof
on main block, Welsh slate on wings. Centre block and flanking wings. Italianate
style. 2-storey, 7-bay main block with pedimented projecting 3-bay centre, and
end bays breaking forward. 4 giant engaged Tuscan columns define the centre.
3 part-glazed, studded 6-panel double doors in architraves in banded rusticated
ground floor. Margined casements, cross in taller first floor, with upper lights
altered, those in outer bays in 2-storey recesses. First-floor centre windows
have wrought-iron guards. Top entablature and blocking course. Central chamfered
square clock tower with deep cornice and leaded dome. Tall, single-storey, 3-bay
wings with projecting banded centre bay forming voussoirs to tall carriage arches
with lattice barred tympana above continuous stone impost bands. Small casements
next to centre block, otherwise blank with parapet above eaves band. Very tall
arcaded and deeply-corniced chimneys above inner bays. 4 steps to central
entrance terrace with wrought- and cast-iron side rails and stone corner piers
with lampholders.

Rear elevation shows tall bowed courtroom exterior with classical detail.


Listing NGR: NZ2784542203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.