This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5136 / 54°30'49"N
Longitude: -1.5681 / 1°34'5"W
OS Eastings: 428056
OS Northings: 513232
OS Grid: NZ280132
Mapcode National: GBR KJH7.9R
Mapcode Global: WHC5W.WTF4
Entry Name: Blackwell Grange Hotel
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110604
Location: Darlington, DL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Park West
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Blackwell All Saints and Salutation
Church of England Diocese: Durham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/09/2015
NZ 2813 11/74
GRANGE ROAD (West Side),
Blackwell Grange Hotel
(Formerly listed as Blackwell Grange (The Europa Lodge Hotel))
Entrance front shows an early C18 central section completed 1710 for the industrialist George Allan, with alterations, flanked by mid C18 wings. Centre of 3 storeys, 5 windows, small proportions. Old red brick, much restored, with parapet before a steeply-pitched, hipped, tiled roof. Rebuilt arches to sash windows with glazing bars. Later projecting one-storey porch section of red brick with stone dressings, including 4 urn finials to parapet. Two-storey, 5-window wings of much larger proportions. Pinkish brick with parapets over wood moulded and modillioned cornices. Pilasters running through parapets support thin urn finials. Hipped slated roofs of moderate pitch. Gauged flat red brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars and stone cills. North wing has a 3-bay right return; but south wing has a 10-bay return providing an imposing south front with long casements along the ground floor. Modern west and north extensions. Set in a designed landscape of early C18 origins that was remodelled after 1805.
Listing NGR: NZ2805613232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings