History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in High Coniscliffe, Darlington

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5331 / 54°31'59"N

Longitude: -1.6532 / 1°39'11"W

OS Eastings: 422537

OS Northings: 515370

OS Grid: NZ225153

Mapcode National: GBR JJW0.WS

Mapcode Global: WHC5V.KBY5

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Last Amended: 16 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1322964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110836

Location: High Coniscliffe, Darlington, DL2

County: Darlington

Civil Parish: High Coniscliffe

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Coniscliffe

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Piercebridge

Listing Text

NZ 2215 HIGH CONISCLIFFE THE GREEN
(North side)
18/113 No. 23 (The Old Hall)
6/6/52 (previously listed
as Old Hall Farmhouse)
GV II*
Large house. Circa 1700 house with medieval wing on left rear. Medieval wing
coursed rubble with pantiled roof. House painted roughcast masonry; pantiled
roof with stone-flagged eaves; pebble-dashed chimney stacks.
2-storey, 5-bay house with raised-and-chamfered quoins. 6-panel door, in broken-
pedimented stone surround,in fourth bay. Replaced 12-pane sashes with projecting
sills and wedge lintels. Small square sundial with circular face and replaced
gnomon above door. Blocked oval window, in cable-moulded surround, above sundial.
Steeply-pitched roof with swept eaves, coped gables and shaped kneelers. End
and ridge stacks.
Medieval wing: 1.5-metre thick ground-floor walls; chamfered plinth and remains
of corbelled-out garderobe, with later stone stair cut into side, on left return;
alternating quoins, blocked doorway and small first-floor lancet (possibly ex-
situ) on rear gable end; roof with brick rear end stack.
Narrow 2-storey gabled stair wing, with replaced sash, on rear of house.
Interior: medieval wing has barrel-vaulted ground-floor room with deep arched
splay of former gable-end doorway. House contains a possibly reconstructed
2-flight dogleg staircase with closed string, square-section moulded handrail
and balusters with 3 rounded knops.
2-storey, 2-bay addition on right of house is not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ2253715370

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.