This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7684 / 54°46'6"N
Longitude: -1.5236 / 1°31'24"W
OS Eastings: 430747
OS Northings: 541601
OS Grid: NZ307416
Mapcode National: GBR KFS9.YF
Mapcode Global: WHC4R.KDPT
Entry Name: Thornley House and Cottage at Left
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109962
Location: Shincliffe, County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shincliffe
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/07/2015
A 181 (East side, off),
Sherburn Hospital Thornley House and cottage at left
(Formerly listed as Sherburn Hospital and Chapel in Sherburn House C.P.)
Range of Elderly Persons' dwellings, c.1760 with c.1896 cottage at left (all known as Thornley House). Tooled dressed sandstone and graduated stone-tiled roofs. Cottage has ashlar walls and chimney stacks. Rebuilt brick stacks on main range. Tudor-style cottage.
Long linear main range in 2 sections: one storey, 11 bays at right; 2 storeys, 6 bays at left. Low plinth. Openings in raised flat-faced surrounds, some renewed. Single-storey range has doorway in fifth bay, blocked doorway near right end bay, late C20 top-hung casements and steeply-pitched roof with overhanging eaves and 4 old-brick ridge stacks. The fifth bay doorway has an impressive medieval timber and stamped ironwork door stylistically dated to the late C13, probably reused from the medieval hall that once stood on the site. 2-storey section, with entrances on rear, has similar casements, in square openings on first floor, and steeply-pitched roof with 4 tall ridge stacks.
Single-storey, 3-bay cottage at right-angles on left has chamfered plinth. Moulded Tudor-arched doorway at right. Small double-chamfered, ovolo-mullioned window in centre bay and single-light window at left, both set close to eaves. Steeply-pitched roof with overhanging eaves. Coped left gable parapet with finials on footstones and a truncated ridge stack. Tall corniced ridge stack at right. Small slightly-domed pyramidal roof, rising from main roof at junction between cottage and 2-storey range. Side facing main road has similar 3-light windows.
Added gabled wing, with lower c.1896 range at right-angles, on centre rear of single-storey range.
Altered L-plan range on left rear of 2-storey section is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ3074741601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings