History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School of Oriental Studies (Elvet Hill)

A Grade II Listed Building in Neville's Cross, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7641 / 54°45'50"N

Longitude: -1.5814 / 1°34'52"W

OS Eastings: 427035

OS Northings: 541095

OS Grid: NZ270410

Mapcode National: GBR KFDC.F0

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.PJ54

Entry Name: School of Oriental Studies (Elvet Hill)

Listing Date: 10 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110201

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Neville's Cross

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE ELVET HILL ROAD
NZ24SE (West side off)

4/149 School of Oriental
Studies (Elvet Hill)

GV II

Villa, now university department. Circa 1820 by Ignatius Bonomi for himself;
raised and altered late C19.

Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Lakeland
slate roof with stone copings and stacks. Irregular plan. Gothic style.
2 storeys, the 3 left bays under a wide and a narrow gable with attics. 2
right bays set back. In third bay a parch with renewed door in Tudor-
arched entrance; inserted window in similar arch on right return. Battle-
mented 2-storey canted bay at extreme left. Windows vary from one to six
lights, stone-mullioned, many with Tudor-arched or cusped heads to lights,
and most with hoodmoulds. Sundial dated 1913 above door, and carved coat
of arms on porch right return. High-pitched roofs with fleur-de-lys gable
finals. Inserted dormer at right. Irregular left return has projecting
stack with 3 octagonal shafts in right bay. Interior shows much original
decoration: panelled hall with stone chimney-piece; panelled library ceiling
with Tudor-flower bosses; moulded cornice to this and other rooms. Well-
preserved door and window woodwork.


Listing NGR: NZ2703541095

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.