History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trigon House Including Attached Garden Wall and Loggias on North-West

A Grade II Listed Building in Wareham St. Martin, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7002 / 50°42'0"N

Longitude: -2.1621 / 2°9'43"W

OS Eastings: 388644

OS Northings: 88958

OS Grid: SY886889

Mapcode National: GBR 21F.05L

Mapcode Global: FRA 67C7.7GH

Entry Name: Trigon House Including Attached Garden Wall and Loggias on North-West

Listing Date: 30 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323437

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109011

Location: Wareham St. Martin, Purbeck, Dorset, BH20

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Wareham St. Martin

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Wareham Lady St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
East Stoke

Listing Text

WAREHAM SAINT MARTIN TRIGON
SY 88 NE
5/100 Trigon House,
including attached
garden wall and
loggias on north-
west.
- II
Country house. Original section c.l911, Architect Philip Sturdy. Enlarged
1928 with stone re-used from the demolished C18 South Bridge, Wareham.
In Arts and Crafts style. Original section has brick walls, with enriched
brick cornices at eaves and verges. Patent tile roof. Brick stacks
with grouped octagonal shafts and moulded caps. 2 storeys. Main front
has a central range with stone mullioned windows on each floor, and
gable projections each end. Moulded stone string course at frist floor
level. Gables have canted mullioned bay windows on each floor, with
herring-bone tiling between the windows, and hipped tiled roofs with
ornamental cornices formed from half round tiles. At left end a canted
gabled projection of similar design. Attached to this a canted stone-
built extension of 1929, consisting of a Dining Room block, with stone
slate roof and moulded parapet, and 2 octagonal single-storey structures,
- a porch and a store room, linked by an open carriage porch with 4-centred
arch. This section dated 1928. Aboce the entrance door a re-used date
stone of 1755 and at the rear of the store a re-set stone inscribed "This bridge
rebuilt 1778". Octagonal battlemented turret at end of Dining Room block.
At rear of Dining Room a large canted bay window with mullions and transomes,
containing heraldic glass. Gabled projection above this. Internally, the
Dining Room, of Greek, Cross plan, has 4 large stone arches of 2 orders
carried on stone piers. Timber gallery with carved shields. Attached to
house on north-west a stone garden wall with bowed projections and recessed
loggias, all of re-used stone from the bridge. An interesting example of
Arts and Crafts design.

Listing NGR: SY8864488958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.