History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Crichel, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8919 / 50°53'30"N

Longitude: -2.0333 / 2°1'59"W

OS Eastings: 397753

OS Northings: 110272

OS Grid: ST977102

Mapcode National: GBR 30D.W7Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 66MR.3PX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107391

Location: Long Crichel, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Crichel

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Witchampton, Stanbridge and Long Crichel with More Crichel

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tarrant Monkton

Listing Text

LONG CRICHEL

ST 91 SE VILLAGE STREET (North side)

5/54 Church of St Mary
18.3.55
GV II

Parish church, C15 west tower, remainder of 1852. Ashlar and banded flint
and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone-slate margins
and end stone copings. Plan: west tower, nave; chancel; north and south
transepts. West tower: two stage, embattled with pinnacles and gargoyles;
diagonal buttresses west, square set to east; vice turret to north with
rectangular loops and an ogee-headed niche; pointed 2-light belfry windows
with returned labels; 3-light, pointed west window with vertical tracery;
C19 south doorway with moulded, pointed head and canopy porch bearing
bishop's mitre. Nave: carved stone cornice; 2-light, square-headed windows
with vertical tracery. South transept; brattished parapet; south window of
2 lights under 4-centred head and label with carved stops; single-light,
square-headed window west; door with 4-centred head east. Chancel: apsidal
in ashlar; crocketted pinnacles rise above buttresses; openwork parapet;
traceried single light windows with labels having carved stops. North
transept; lancets with returned labels to east and west; pointed, traceried
window to north, blank below springing line; 4-centred door to east.

Interior (inspection not possible, description based on RCHM and Newman and
Pevsner): general form is Georgian rather than full gothic revival; apsidal
chancel with wooden panels of reticulated tracery between radial arched
braces; roof divided into small panes; C15 Purbeck marble font with octagonal,
panelled bowl and panelled stem; reset brass to John Govys, c.1360. (RCHM,
Dorset, 1972, p 258).


Listing NGR: ST9775310272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.