This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6084 / 50°36'30"N
Longitude: -1.9589 / 1°57'32"W
OS Eastings: 403002
OS Northings: 78743
OS Grid: SZ030787
Mapcode National: GBR 459.PKH
Mapcode Global: FRA 67SG.GN0
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 26 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108186
Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19
Civil Parish: Swanage
Built-Up Area: Swanage
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(The Town Hall)
SZ 0278 NE 5/60 26.6.52
Built 1882. Architect G Crickmay. Incorporates the front of the Mercers' Hall,
from Cheapside, London, designed by Edward Jarman in 1668 and brought to Swanage by
George Burt. The main building of Purbeck Stone, of 2-storeys, the Mercers' Hall
front of Portland Stone. The ground storey has a round-arched doorway in a rusticated
surround, surmounted by carved cherubs supporting a central figure. Above this is a
projecting balcony, with an ornamental iron balustrade, carried on massive carved
console brackets. At first floor level, a pair of doors leads on to the balcony.
The doors are set in a semi-circular arch, with moulded surround, and a flat hood on
console brackets, with carved ornament in the spandrels. Above this is an elliptical
window with carved surround. The whole of this stage is set in a frame with Tuscan
pilasters supporting a broken pediment. In the centre of this is a semi-circular
niche with circular windows on each side above the pediment. The whole composition,
which extends above the eaves of the main building, is finished with a moulded
dentil cornice and balustraded parapet. On each side of the entrance doorway are
ornamental cast iron lamp standards, cast at Coalbrookdale. RCHM Monument 4.
Listing NGR: SZ0300278743
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings