This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9265 / 50°55'35"N
Longitude: -2.5884 / 2°35'18"W
OS Eastings: 358740
OS Northings: 114278
OS Grid: ST587142
Mapcode National: GBR MR.PS26
Mapcode Global: FRA 56GN.HDK
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105542
Location: Bradford Abbas, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Bradford Abbas
Built-Up Area: Bradford Abbas
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bradford Abbas with Clifton Maybank St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
CHURCH STREET (North side),
Parish Church of St Mary
Parish Church. c. C12 chancel. C15, nave rebuilt and lengthened south chapel
and south porch added, two east bays of the north aisle and arcade built.
Shortly after, the aisle and arcade were continued west, and west tower added.
South vestry added late C15. Stone wall above the screen removed, and chancel
arch inserted in 1858. Roofs restored in 1890 and tower in 1906. Organ chamber
added in 1911. Local rubble walls, ashlar-faced, and dressings of Ham Hill stone.
Roofs of stone slates and lead. Chancel projects one short by now beyond
vestries. C14 east window, with restored tracery. N wall: C15 window of 2
cinquefoiled ogee lights in a square head. S wall: window with late C14 jambs
and splays. Nave, of 5 bays built on 2 stages, with north aisle and south chapel,
2 bays. West of S doorway is a C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with panel
tracery in a 2.centred head. South doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch.
South chapel, mid C15, buttressed, with an embattled parapet continued along the
walls of porch and nave. S. wall has 3 windows, eastermost late C14 reset, of
2 trefoiled ogee lights in a pointed head with moulded reveals. S porch,
continuous with south chapel. Outer archway, similar detail to south arcade of
nave. Above, niche with carved bracket. West tower, mid C15, of 3 stages with
octagonal angle-turrets, moulded plinth and embattled parapet, pinnacled and with
an octagonal NE turret. West doorway: shallow porch, heavily ornamented (see
RCHM). West window is of 4 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a pointed
head. Moulded reveals and label, flanked by niches. West wall, 3 large niches
with foliated brackets, 2 with statues. Bell-chamber, has a pair of windows in
each wall. INTERIOR: nave north arcade of moulded pointed arches from shafted
piers. S wall, C15 arcade of 2 bays of similar detail, east of it is passage and
steps to former rood-loft. West tower, tower-arch is two-centred and moulded,
springing from moulded and shafted responds with foliated caps. Reveals and soffit
panelled. Roof: C15 restored, low pitch, 6 bays with moulded principals, purlins,
brattished plates and moulded stone cornices, see RCHM. N and S aisles with C15
pent-roofs, (RCHM). Font: C15, very ornamental design based on octagonal bowl,
stemmed, and free-standing corner piers, carved corner figures. Stone screen with
central doorway (septfoiled head). Side bays. Bench-ends and 2 pew backs carved,
early C16. Pulpit: oak, hexagonal, dated 1632 P.G., R.M. Sounding-boards. Chests,
medieval and C17. Piscinae, 4. Monuments and floor slabs, C18 and C19, numerous.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.31(2))
Listing NGR: ST5874214280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings