History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 1-4 Turners Close and Attached Screen Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Trent, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9656 / 50°57'56"N

Longitude: -2.584 / 2°35'2"W

OS Eastings: 359086

OS Northings: 118625

OS Grid: ST590186

Mapcode National: GBR MR.MF4V

Mapcode Global: FRA 56GK.K3D

Entry Name: Nos 1-4 Turners Close and Attached Screen Walls

Listing Date: 11 July 1951

Last Amended: 2 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1323929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 105715

Location: Trent, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Trent

Built-Up Area: Trent

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Trent St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Trent

Listing Text

TRENT
ST 5818-5918 -
18/174 1, 2, 3, 4 Turner's Close
and attached screen walls,
11.7.51 (formerly listed as
Almshouses)
GV II
Two ranges of almshouses. Dated 1846. Coursed rubble-stone walls.
Scale-tiled roofs with stone gable-copings and cavetto-moulded kneelers.
Two tall octagonal stone stacks to each ridge, octagonal capstones. The
two ranges face each other across a small courtyard. One storey. 2 windows,
each of two 4-centred lights in a square head with a label over, iron casements
with lozenge-leading. The doors are situated laterally towards the end of
each range, straight-chamfered jambs and depressed arch in a square head.
Returned label over. Plank doors, studded and with strap-hinges, C19.
There is a short rear wing to each dwelling, C19. The east and west sides
of the courtyard are closed by screen walls, each with a central gateway
with 4-centred head and moulded coping above. In the north-west gable is
an inscription panel only partly legible, "(Bui)l(t) (an)d Endowed in the
Year of Our Lord 1846". Built under the patronage and endowment of the
Rev. and Mrs Turner of Trent. (RCHM, Dorset I, p 256(4)).


Listing NGR: ST5908618625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.